Ingredients for Maraschino Cherry Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- pinch of salt
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat batter until smooth.
- With the mixer running, Add 2 cups of powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Add 4 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice, one tablespoon at a time.
- Continue beating, and add the remaining 2 cups powdered sugar, and chopped maraschino cherries. If desired, add a drop of pink food coloring (I used Americolor electric pink).
- Beat until fully combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Use a serrated knife to cut off the top of the cupcake, using the top of the cupcake liner as a guide.
- Use a small heart cookie cutter to cut out a heart shape from the cupcake dome.
- Spread frosting onto the cupcake base, in a mounded shape.
- If desired, sprinkle the cupcake dome with powdered sugar. Place top back on cupcake and press down a bit.