- 200g (1 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 185ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 125g butter, chopped
- 115g (3/4 cup) self-raising flour
- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 50g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- 185g butter, extra, at room temperature
- 345g (2 1/4 cups) icing sugar mixture
- 95g (3/4 cup) malted milk powder
- 1 tablespoon milk, extra
- 465g Maltesers
- 300g dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 30g butter
- Preheat oven to 160C. Grease a 20cm round cake pan with butter. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Place the brown sugar, milk and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in microwave on high, stirring every minute, for 4-5 minutes or until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Use a balloon whisk to whisk the combined flour and cocoa powder into the butter mixture. Whisk in the egg. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes to cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, place the chocolate, cream and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in microwave on high, stirring every minute, for 2-3 minutes or until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.
- Use an electric beater to beat the extra butter in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in the icing sugar, malted milk powder and extra milk until fluffy. Beat in 1 1/2 tablespoons ganache.
- Set the remaining ganache aside for 1 hour 30 minutes or until thick, glossy and spreadable.
- Meanwhile, use a large serrated knife to cut the cake horizontally into four layers. Place the cake base on a platter. Spread with one-third of the icing. Continue layering with the remaining cake and icing, finishing with cake. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour 30 minutes to chill.
- Spread the ganache evenly over the top and side of the cake. Decorate with Maltesers.
References from: Taste