- 1 1/2 Tbs instant yeast
- 1/2 Cup very warm water
- 1 1/2 Tbs sugar
- 2 Cup water
- 1 1/2 Tbs oil
- 2 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Cup flour
- Combine the yeast, 1/2 C warm water, and sugar, and let proof for ten minutes.
- Then add remaining 2 C water, oil, salt, and 3 C of flour.
- Mix until flour is incorporated, then add remaining 3 C flour gradually.
- Knead about five minutes, then turn out onto generously floured surface.
- Every ten minutes for the next hour knead two or three times.
- Form into 4 loaves.
- Brush with beaten egg white.
- Slash 3 diagonal lines into tops.
- Raise until double or 30 minutes.
- Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then at 375 for 20 minutes.
It's Always Autumn