1. Cut off the opposite side of the root
2. Peel the onion and cut off the root and flush under cold water then dry.
3. With a large, sharp knife, make cuts at right angles, like a pizza, but instead of 8 bits, make at least 16 and ideally 32 cuts. Be careful not to cut through the onion, stopping these cuts about 2 cm before reaching the base.
4. To let it become flower-shaped drop the onion buds down, opening it (leave for two hours in the refrigerator it will speed up the process).
5. Mix the flour with the salt, peppers and thyme. Sprinkle the onion with flour in enough quantity to get in between the buds of onion. Remove the excess.
6. Dip the top down in the milk mixture and eggs and again add flour and remove excess (step 7). Now it is ready for frying.
7. Put enough oil into the frying pan to submerge the onion. Bring oil to high temperature. With the help of a skimmer, put the onion top down and fry for 2 minutes. Turn it and fry for another two minutes, turn it over and fry another 2 minutes.
8. Secure the center with a fork, and with a sharp knife, remove the the inside to make a place for a dip dish.